iPhone 5 users should only use genuine chargers says Apple

chinese_apple

iPhone 5 owners have been told to use only genuine Apple chargers following a spate of electrocutions in China

Apple has issued a warning to iPhone 5, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S users: use a genuine charger or risk electrocution.

Apple said on its Chinese site, ‘Apple always put the user’s safety first, so all of our products are subject to stringent safety and reliability testing, and designed to meet government safety standards around the world, including for the iPhone and iPad USB power adapter.’

The news comes after two people in China were electrocuted by their iPhones while charging.
The iPhone 4 has a man in a coma after he was electrocuted by his iDevice.

The 30-year old was been in a coma for more than 10 days, although we last heard he was breathing unassisted and is on the road to recovery. He had undergone hyperbaric oxygen treatment to try and prevent any brain damage, according to the Beijing Evening News.

Wu Jiantong apparently screamed ‘I’m being electrocuted’ after plugging his iPhone 4 into a wall charger. Wu’s sister then unplugged the device from the power supply from which she received a minor electric shock.

Humidity in Wu’s apartment is said to be the reason the iPhone behaved in such a way, rather than a fault with the device in question.

Earlier this week, a Chinese woman was killed by receiving an electric shock from her iPhone 5. She reportedly answered the smartphone while it was charging.

Ma Ailun, a 23-year-old former flight attendant from China’s Xinjiang region was electrocuted last Thursday when she took a call on the Apple device just after getting out of the bath.

iPhone ‘explodes’ on a plane

If reports of the incident are accurate it could suggest that there was a fault with either the charging unit or its connection cable. According to sina.english.com, the iPhone 5 was purchased from an official Apple store last December and was being charged using the original charger.

Exploding iPhone caught on video in Finland

Apple has refused to comment on specific details of the death but said it will cooperate with authorities in any investigations.

‘We are deeply saddened to hear of this tragic incident and offer our deepest condolences to the Ma family. We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter,’ Apple said in a statement released today.

Possible reasons given for the fatal malfunction include that of Xingiang’s extreme temperatures during the summer months. The heat could potentially cause overloads and electrical insulation failures, although whether it was a contributing factor in this incident is as yet unknown.

Another theory suggests that a fault with the charging unit could have meant that it was unearthed, sending a potentially lethal current of 200mA through the victim.

Apple is said to be investigating both these incidents, plus another episode where an iPhone 4 exploded while a man was sleeping and set fire to his bed.

Source

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: